D-Day, 62 years ago today. June 6th 1944

General chatting.

Moderator: IHN Forum Moderators

D-Day, 62 years ago today. June 6th 1944

Postby insanehippie » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:37 am

(I copied this from LittleGreenFootballs'suser: "Ayatollah Ghilmeini". I cannot take credit for this.)

Sixty Two Years Ago Today

Tomorrow, the sun will rise, as it does every morning but tomorrow it will be June Sixth, the sixty second anniversary of D-Day.

Right now, on this very minute sixty two years ago, tens of thousands of soldiers, sailors and airmen took one last look at loved ones, dashed off a last letter and otherwise did whatever they could to calm their nerves. They had boarded their ships or were boarding. The largest armada ever assembled sailed out to determine the fate of the world.

Eisenhower made the decision to go and the world would never be same again.

Sixty six hundred allied troops would not be alive in 24 hours. Thousands more would be injured. In the cold industrialized mechanized planning that was D-Day, half of the soldiers were there so their bodies would offer shelter, weapons and ammo to the survivors.

By late morning tomorrow, when you are having that second cup of coffee, sixty two years ago Omaha beach was a gory bloodbath, our soldiers were being slaughtered to the point that Gen. Omar Bradley was not sure the invasion had worked.

How safe and easy are our lives. We owe so much to this, the most magnificent army in history, a generation of brave men who stormed ashore because they believed in something greater and something better, the very lives that we lead today.

They followed orders and charged into a hopeless situation without question. Sheer mass was the only armor they had. As I have for the past couple of years, I write to honor their memory and perhaps say one new thing that might help others appreciate and remember.

D-Day was a triumph of planning and production but it is mostly a triumph of the spirit of the nation that calls itself the United States of America. It was an expression of a nation's will, its character and its future as the greatest power on earth.

After D-Day, the US would be the greatest power the world had ever seen. The American nation had shown that it was capable of doing anything, including the impossible, of fighting for the ideals of freedom against any odds and against any enemy. And winning. After D-Day, some might question America but D-Day was not just an event it was transformative to the nation itself the springboard to today.

Any nation that wishes to supplant the US from its global peak will have to commit deeds of greatness that will enable that nation to transcend the nation that risked everything for freedom and gave the world a vision of freedom and equality that I hope shines forever.

One night I had a wonderful dream. A bugle blew in heaven and an endless troop of soldiers marched to the gates themselves and presented arms and saluted; the honor guard of heaven were the allied soldiers of June 6, 1944.

No other place of honor is good enough for what they did.

So I ask you to take a moment and think about the day that gave birth to the modern world and remember the brave men who made it possible.[/url]
http://www.boldconservative.com - A proud Red State Conservative, and Un-Reconstructed Southerner!
God Bless the Troops.
"Why not the Time Cube?" The only reason is educated stupidity. -TimeCube.com
insanehippie
Admin!
Admin!

Postby Ronquistador » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:28 am

god damn ally zerg crew.....

(WoW joke...only someone who has played WoW a good bit or at least know a good deal about the game will get that)
"Hooray for me and to hell with you!"
-Mr Nunally... RIP
Ronquistador
(Ask InsaneHippie for a custom rank)
(Ask InsaneHippie for a custom rank)

Return to General Ranting